Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Coretta Scott King Dies at 78

This story came through on my Blackberry as I was on my way out of the door; I just stopped. I am very saddened by the news. I live in Atlanta and Ms. King as been a staunch proponent of Civil Rights and with that the rights of LGBTQ folks.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice, but I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people," Coretta Scott King. - Reuters, March 31, 1998.

Today as a nation mourns the loss of one of it's finest citizens we should remember to be grateful because Ms. King dedicated her life to social justice and equality for all of us.

Thank You Coretta

No comments: