Pages

Monday, August 15, 2005

New Beginnings

Today was a great and wonderful day.

My partner and I have been together for almost 18 months and we finally moved in together. No. We did not do the lesbian U-Haul thing. We took our time and waited until it was the right time for both of us. We decided to mark the event by having the Rabbi bless our new home and by attaching a mezuzah to the doorpost. We also took this time to bless our relationship buy exchanging rings, all of this done with the Rabbi's blessing.

My partner is not Jewish and it was very important to me that we have a Jewish home. Try explaining this to my partners parents who are both evangelical ministers, and who felt the calling of the lord to the ministry. Her parents are religious zealots and believe that anything other than their form of christianity is wrong and probably the devil. They also buy into that whole hate the sin love the sinner mentality and they think we are going to hell because we are lesbians, although they are praying that does not happen. The funny thing is I believe they really do love their daughter. I also believe that they love me in their own special way.

This is a new beginning, a new chapter in my very long but short life. Next year my partner and I plan to go to Toranto to get married legally and then we plan to have a commitment ceremony here at home with our friends and family. When you are gay you can have 3 different ceremonies to mark your relationship. We will even have a religious ceremony, a great big Jewish wedding.

No comments: